Day 60 Do I smell better?  

Posted by Sam Woollard

12 working weeks since the first sod was dug out of our lawn to create our new extension and I was able to take a shower in the first of our new shower rooms even if I did make a bit of a mess on the bathroom floor. As you have probably guessed we finally got hot water from our NASA space ship of a tank in the laundry room and I just had to try it out. The fact that I haven't yet fitted a shower curtain didn't deter me as I promised myself to be very careful, in the end of course I wasn't and we did get a very soggy towel on the floor. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!

No pictures tonight as we had homework - we had to fit the floor in the last of the three bathrooms so that Tony can fit the last of the loos and the final vanity unit. Today Tony worked miracles and not only did he get the boiler and tank up and running he also helped Tom fit the double vanity and sinks. They aren't plumbed in yet but boy do they look good and our master bathroom is going to be worth every minute of the time and money that we have put into it. We do have to make one change to both the downstairs showers and that is to the extension arms on the shower heads. The ones supplied with the shower controller are very short and need to be replaced with longer ones similar to the one we bought for the shower/bath upstairs. Tony had one moment of panic with the hot water system when he discovered that hot water was coming out of the cold taps. He was convinced that the problem was with the shower controls that we brought back from the States and that they should have non-return valves fitted and that we would have to take out one of the tiles in the shower that we fitted over the weekend. He went into the crawl space to prove theory with the one shower that was easy to change and discovered that his theory was wrong. He then realised that he hadn't fitted the control head in the small downstairs shower and that was the one that was feeding hot water back into the cold taps. Problem solved and no tiles need to be removed.

Hilary and I spent all day painting, we gave the new bedroom its final coat of white on the ceiling and magnolia on the walls, then we started on the gloss paint. Hilary was able to gloss on the skirtings that she had primed yesterday while I primed all the architraves around the door frames. Tomorrow we will gloss those as well so that we are ready for the new carpet to be fitted on Friday.

Friday will be hell, we are having a new carpet fitted in our bedroom, a new carpet fitted in the new bedroom and also a new carpet fitted to the stairs and landing. Then in the afternoon we should take delivery of a new sofa bed and a new double bed for us, all this with trying to keep the workmen out of those areas, let's hope that they find plenty of outside work to do on that day. With a bit of luck it will be the last day that we have to get up early to move the car and open the garage door before the first worker - usually John the electrician, arrives. I will miss all of them except Marcus and today I had to go out and break up a conversation that he was having with a guy who wanted his car fixed. I was working upstairs and noticed that all the drilling noises had stopped so I went outside to look and listened to his conversation for a while before making it obvious that I was watching and listening to him rabbiting on. Excuses were made and his friend left but I made sure that Marcus knew that I was not impressed. Ah well only three more days, I can live with that.

This entry was posted on Tuesday 31 July 2007 at 21:19 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment